Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Something old, something new

After reading the last couple of comments about offers of borrowing jewelry (thanks Kristin and Aunt Betty), I started to think about the old adage, "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue". Do the types of items (old, new, etc) mean anything. After a quick Google search, I found out yes they did mean something and that there is more to the saying according to Ask Yahoo!.

Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

Old is for the traditionals and memories of the bride's family.
New is hope and optimism for the future.
Borrowed is usually from a good friend to infuse their good fortune in the new marriage.
Blue is for love and fidelity.

Now the question beg to be asked, got a sixpence anyone?

I got my information here.

2 comments:

Toffee said...

I have a BLUE collar that you could borrow. I bet Dr. Flatters could help you with the sixpence. Just a hunch.

Anonymous said...

I think your best chance for a sixpence would be Ann.