Thursday, January 10, 2008

More Church Stuff

So my Aunt left me a comment about making sure St. Pat's accepts our Pre-Cana and don't worry they do. Unfortunately for us, the priest marrying us says we just need a certificate.

Which leads me to the priest marrying us... Msgr. Massie will be marrying us. This caused some confusion in the beginning when we were trying to book the church because Msgr. Massie used to be a priest at St. Pat's but has moved on to St. Andrew's (still in Bay Ridge) so we just wanted the church but no priest.

B worked at the church in high school while then Fr. Massie worked there and it was important to B that he marry us (starting to see a theme here? his church, his priest, his borough. I am beginnning to think B is high maintenance and demanding). So after we got engaged B called him up and Msgr. Massie agreed to marry us and wanted us to stop by next time we were in town.

A weekend where we have time to talk to the priest finally comes up and by Wednesday B still has not contacted Msgr. Massey to say we would be stopping by on Sunday. My thought was "Sunday is kind of THE day for priests. He may not be free." B arranged it and it all worked out. The following Sunday we went to mass at St. Andrew's which is a house that was converted in a church so it is kind of weird. Msgr. Massie is outside the church greeting parishoners and we are introduced. Within five minutes I know where he stands on the current administration (both secular and not) and former heads of the church in the Boston area. Needless to say my aunt was correct in stating he is "on the side of the angels" at least according to our family political stance.

The mass was your usual fare of God, miracles, and the like. However, a little bit into the homily I realize everything said about Msgr. Massie is true - he talks A LOT. And you also feel like he is talking to directly to you and they didn't hand out Bulletins before mass so I had nothing to read. I had to actually listen (I hate that!). While he does talk a lot, he gave a good homily. I just don't want his homily to ruin the timeline I have set up for the wedding day. I have thught about telling him we have to be somewhere for pictures at 3:30 so we can be done quicker but it seems wrong to purposely lie to a priest. And I also plan to go to confession right before the wedding so I would have that one sin hanging over me...which is probably not good. We will see.

No comments: