Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Compromise??

Another issue with the merging of our lives is not the number of computers he has or or the Xbox, but this innocuous golden orb:



I refuse to turn the heat on before Thanksgiving and choose to wear a hat and hooded sweatshirt around the apartment. In fact I am just starting to insulate the windows in my apartment with plastic as my bathroom is getting chilly in the morning.


I try each year to see how long I can make it without turning on the heat and I do it for two reasons:

1) I don't want to pay the high gas prices

2) It is much more efficient to regulate your personal temperature rather than force your environment to appealing temperatures.


B on the other hand is a delicate flower who does not like the cold (welcome to Boston my friend). He and J turn on the heat way too early and often in my opinion but they don't ask for it.


The thing is, this problem also goes the other way. I hate air conditioning. Again, it costs more money and I feel bad about the damage it does to the environment. (Side note: I have had these viewpoints long before Al Gore and his Inconvenient Truths - I am just saying). In fact, this is only the second year in my adult life that I have had an air conditioner. A fan on high works well for me though sometimes I do lie there with a cold, damp washcloth on my head in order to fall asleep but I am tough. B claims he can't sleep in the heat.


I think this is a debate that cannot be settled just yet. And I am not sure what the compromise is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you registered for flannel sheets.

Anonymous said...

tough one.... perhaps take a season each? he has to compromise in winter months (i.e. heating left off) and you in summer months (air conditioner on?)..... we are buying a house! put offer in yesterday and was accepted and yes there is a guest bedroom which u & B are welcome too.... on on MS

Unknown said...

This is quite contrary to the archetypal male phenomenon of keeping the temperature down to dangerous degrees - that B is such an anomaly. Just slap a hot washcloth on his neck and call it a night..see how he does in the noreaster!