Sunday, November 25, 2007

The centerpiece that could have been

Everyone admires and comments on centerpieces at a wedding. One time at a wedding of a childhood friend, I won the centerpiece (I never win anything). The prize was an oversized martini glass with glass beads and a beta fish. The kid next to me was taking the fish home so B and I fished the fish (intended to say that) out of the glass and he went to a very nice home I am sure. We then carried the martini glass out to the garden (it was very heavy with all the water and glass beads) and poured out the water without losing any glass beads.

Upon returning to the reception room, we placed what remained of the centerpiece on the table and continued dancing. During the last dance, Mrs. D (the bride's mom) walked by the table and took the now almost empty martini glass and put it on her table. B and I were stunned and couldn't do anything. Not only was it Mrs. D who I had known forever but it was also the bride's mom. So that became the centerpiece gift that never was. I imagined sitting at home on my couch, drinking out of the oversized glass as my then roommate came home and hopefully looked at me amused. I still think about what my life would be now had I gotten to take the martini glass home.

No comments: