Monday, October 22, 2007

Registering

Because I can't show the pictures that I took on Saturday, I am moving on to another topic - registering. After we had gotten engaged (or as New York would say, after B engaged to me) we did not go down to New York and visit any reception sites for almost two months. In those two months I got antsy to do something wedding-related, so I decided to open up a registry.

Because of their lenient return policy I knew that we were going to register at Bed Bath and Beyond and then another store to be named later. After blogging about going to Target with B after I had already done all my shopping, I thought it was too bad I didn't register at Target. The other store we picked was Macy's because it is everywhere and everyone knows it. I didn't want to send people to a store that I don't shop in normally (Williams-Sonoma or Fortunoff) and everyone has Bed Bath and Beyond or Macy's near them. Also I have heard that Crate and Barrel discontinues things fairly often and many brides have to register multiple times because their original items are no longer in stock.

Also Macys and Bed Bath and Beyong usually have good sales or send you a million coupons (I am looking at you Bed Bath and Beyond...20% off any one item). While registering, Lynn (our bridal consultant) informed us that even though the 20% off coupon lists a bunch of brands that are not included in the offer, all you have to say is "I didn't know know it didn't include [insert brand name here]. I don't know if I want it" and the cashier is supposed to allow you to use the coupon "this one time." It is part of their training in providing the utmost in customer service.

So on this Saturday afternoon, we have our first encounter with the scanner. B was intrigued and the first five items placed on our registry we his choosing. The jigger was the first item we registered for and he picked it. While I did look forward to registering, it was very overwhelming and after awhile, I started to feel uncomfortable about selecting the exact things I wanted and how much things cost. After about two hours, we turned in our scanner and decided to finish off the registry in the comfort of home and over the next few months.

One weekend when I went to New York without B, I dragged bridesmaid extraordinaire, Kim, with me to Macys and started that registry. Macy's Herald Square was definitely overwhelming but I liked that they had EVERYTHING there. I saw all my options in person rather than on the computer screen or just a picture in a flyer. (Also when you tell them the number of invited guests they tell you how many gifts you should register for and the number in each price range which is handy.) While there Kim feel in love with a pineapple patterned china. One day Kim, one day and it will all be yours. After about an hour in Macy's, we left and replenished our bodies at the Beer Garden but that is a whole other story.

On another return trip to NY, B and I finished off our Macy's registry for the most part - he selected the bedding. I say for the most part because I feel like they are in a state of constant flux. I add stuff and then feel guilty about how much I have registered for and take stuff off (I do that with actually purchasing things either I go to the strore put a lot of things in the cart and then slowly put most back or I just buy a bunch of things and then end up returning some). I go back and forth as to whether I should have an item on the Macy's list or the Bed Bath and Beyond one or both. B gets a gift from work which is similar to something on the registry so I take that off. I think I need to stop thinking about it for awhile and just let the registry sit, unchanged, for awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really did like that pineapple china. It sounds weird but I thought it was cool and I don't care if you all think I'm weird.

Anonymous said...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=99328&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

it's cute and different.