Friday, October 12, 2007

Orange Blossoms?

So my lovely sister posted a comment about using Orange Blossoms in the bouquet as this is traditional and she used them. I had never heard and had not come across any mention of it in all of my Internet reading. So of course I have to find out what this is all about. According to factmonster.com (a link Ann sent me):

"Orange Blossoms Worn at Weddings
The Saracen brides used to wear orange blossoms as an emblem of fecundity; and occasionally the same emblem may have been worn by European brides ever since the time of the Crusades; but the general adoption of wreaths of orange blossoms for brides is comparatively a modern practice, due especially to the recent taste for flower-language. The subject of bridal decorations being made a study, and the orange flower being found suitable, from the use made of it by the ancient Saracens, it was introduced by modistes as a fit ornament for brides. The notion once planted, soon became a custom, now very generally adopted by those who study the conventions of society, and follow the accepted fashions."



My original plan was a dark red bouquet but orange blossoms are white. And I told Ann this. In much to my surprise, she answers and has included an image from the Internet that looks like this.




This is not orange blossom but stephanotis (close enough) and this bride does not look happy.

Side note: I would like to note that yesterday I read the fecundity three times (once in this definition and twice in a book) and fecund once. I still do not know what it means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanotis is also occasionally known as Hawaiian Wedding Flower.

This flower is a symbol for marital happiness; the trumpet-shape blossoms are traditional bridal flowers. They are very fragrant and in season year-round.

Anonymous said...

fecund-capable of producing offspring
must be a fertility symbol