Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Decision Making Process - Who is in Charge?

So we have the wedding planning items divided up between the two of us. And in our budget spreadsheet each item has an E (me), B (him), or T (together) in the first column and the letter indicates who is responsible for that line item. And as it stands now, I hold responsibility for 23 items, B 13 and together we decide on 5. Now some of the items are at a granular level such as flowers (E) - the spreadsheet has it broken out by centerpieces, bridal bouquet, bridal party bouquet, groom's boutinneires, groomsmen's boutinieres, etc. B has music which encompasses ceremny music, cocktail hour music and reception music. So that means I have to find the vendor and then choose the flowers for each line item. We each get to pick out our own ring which can be fun - our bands do not have to match. In fact, for the wedding in general I am not into matchy matchy. I guess the bridal party dresses will be matching but they don't have to be.

The reasons for doing this was:
1) So I didn't feel like I was doing everything for the wedding
2) I don't have to hand out things for B to do, he has access to the list and I hate micro-managing
3) It reminds me what I have to do as well

I figure I won't allow myself to ask B how his tasks are coming along until I am notified by the Knot (they have this checklist of tasks and items and each month I get an email about what should be completed in that month) that the item needs attention. And according to the Knot, we do not have any outstanding items for October AND November. So we are free until December in theory. Unfortunately, people and vendors book up fast in NYC so I am using the checklist as a guide.

1 comment:

Teresa Shea said...

I like this strategy. Very Dwight Schreut-ish.