Tuesday, October 30, 2007

2 Become 1

Apartments that is. For a variety of reasons, B is moving into my current apartment which is a great two-bedroom near Ball Square. It is very neighborhoody, close to the Red Line, and affordable. My one complaint is the stove from 1970 but I have a washer/dryer, basement storage and a backyard.

The problem is that I have been living by myself for just over a year and by the time he moves in, it will be two years. I like things my way. I like answering to no one and if I want to eat Kraft singles in bed, I can. I also do things a certain way and do not like change.

The best example is locking the door. I lock my door with a key, even though I can just turn the knob thing and lock the door before I close it. I do that when I close the door at B's but at my place I have to lock it with a key from the outside. However, there is a reason for my rule. I forget my keys a lot. I misplace them often. I lose my keys several times. So if I am outside my apartment there is a good chance that my keys are inside. So if I only lock the door with a key, I always know that as long as the door is locked, I have my keys somewhere. It is a simple system and it works for me.

Now if B is over and we go out, he tries to lock the door his way not with a key. I don't like it. It puts a crimp in my system and could cause me to get locked out. Then I have to get my landlady to let me in and I feel stupid even though she says "that's what I am here for" when she lets me in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can get a gadget that you can mount by the front door which holds a spare key. The contraption opens by combination lock. Jmo's parents have this at their house. Just a suggestion for your lock dilemma.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the moving in! our difficult issue was "level of cleanliness in the flat".... it worked out ok in the end, perhaps a calm discussion about that before it gets too much?! trust me on this. On on mudsticker

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you are giving your landlord a purpose in life by getting locked out. Everyone needs to feel needed . . .