Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My weekend and love of cookbooks

My company has a "use them or lose them" policy with vacation days and I will be taking Monday and Tuesday off next week. So in preparation I have been creating my to do list (I love to do lists. Love them. Though I rarely cross everything off and have notebooks filled with unfinished lists) and while a lot of things related to boring things like cleaning my apartment, doing laundry (long side story coming: once I get a "new" washing machine and I mean new to me via craigslist. I think my washing machine got jealous of the "new" dishwasher and decided to give up on me. Hopefully the new one will be delivered tomorrow and installed shortly after that. Not a good month for appliances here) and holiday things like sending christmas cards, finishing my christmas shopping - there are some fun wedding related things on their as well.


1) Begin Save the Dates: I already introduced you to my Gocco machine and I have been trying it out and setting up different layouts. I think I have it figured out. I like how the end product has an unevenness in the ink and has a bit of a vintage feel. Each one is unique. I like them.

2) Ring shopping: I know I posted how I was probably not ring shopping for a while but B got a gift card to the jeweler store where my e-ring was purchased. So we figured we would look around for our rings and see about getting my ring resized.

3) Think about cupcake flavors: Before it became the cool thing to do, I knew we were going to have cupcakes. I love them. B doesn't like cake, especially wedding cake but liked the idea of cupcakes. As a wedding gift, my friend Kristin will be making the cupcakes and a small cake for us to cut into and save for our first anniversary. B is going to build her a web site in the new year and I will be talking more about that at a later date. In New York I used to get cupcakes and went to Buttercup. Oh how I missed it when I moved and I am not in Manhattan much anymore when I visit. This made me sad. Then a cupcake place opened up in Bay Ridge near B's parents. I visit it when I am in the neighborhood and B brings me back some when he visits. This cupcake place in Bay Ridge is owned by a guy that used to work at Buttercup and uses the same recipes because the Buttercup owner published a cookbook with her recipes (she also tried to sue him but lost the case). Kristin said she would make us any flavor cupcake as long as she had a recipe. My big idea - get the recipe book to get the exact recipes of the cupcakes I love so much. So B's roommate has a library card (I don't even know where the Medford Library is. I probably need a car to get there.) to the Boston Public Library and went and took out this Buttercup cookbook. At this moment, the cookbook is in Dot (Dorchester for the non-locals) and it is waiting for me to open it up and see all the different cupcakes I love and maybe some new ones I will grow to love. I am so excited to see which ones there are and to start seeing about options for the wedding. I love reading cookbooks. It is a weird past time of mine. Stop judging.


So that is what I will be doing Saturday - Tuesday with some sleep thrown in and a 50% chance I shower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

I take back the "must have a recipe" part. I could probably morph any recipe into any flavor you want. How's that for confidence!! xoxo-K