Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thoughts on marriage...

The political climate being what it is and the recent decree by Governor Patterson has made me realize I shouldn't take for granted the ease as to which we walked into City Hall and got a marriage license.  

June 17, 2007 marked the 40th anniversary of the Supreme Court case of Loving v. Virginia.  And on its anniversary, Mildred Loving (the wife of the inter-racial couple) issued this statement: 
"Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the “wrong kind of person” for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am McLovin.

Anonymous said...

Okay Liz, I finally have to respond. One, you are a political person by expressing your opinion...That's okay! Second, if there is any absolute truth in life, what is it? There has to be something that is immovable, unshakable. I believe it is God and His inspired word - the Bible. Scripture is clear - marriage is between a man a woman. You can argue for civil cerimonies or whatever, but marriage is a covenant relationship between you and B before God. Man and woman period. I would be curious what the Catholic theology is on that these days. Hopefully supportive of the word of God. The prophet Isaiah wrote more than 2000 years ago "The grass withers, the flowers fall, but the word of God stands forever." Every day we are all challanged with thoughts and ideas that the world throws at us which chips away at the moral fiber of life. The only way to remind our selves what truth is, is to spend time in it (God's Word). Love you!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was McLovin!!

Anyhoo- I think a lot of the drama around this issue has to do merely with the term "marriage", which has come to be a religious term. Civil unions, partnership etc.. deserve the same benefits (legally) as anyone else who is "married."

But then again, apparently the God hanging out over my vineyard was a different God than the one inside the church at 2nd wedding! I'll just say that my church God probably could use some vino.

xoxo-Priestess of the Red Velvet Cupcakes