Sunday, August 24, 2008

More on the stamp...

While everyone knows that B is a big baseball fan and we have seen the Mets (and their minor league affiliates) play in many stadiums throughout the country but he actually liked the stamps for other reasons. B and I had gone to Cooperstown earlier in our relationship (we were going to my childhood friend's wedding and I felt bad for dragging him to Geneva, NY so I coaxed him into the idea of a 7-hour drive with promises of Cooperstown).

And while we were there we learned about the history of the song "Take me Out to the Ball Game". It was written by a man who had never seen a baseball game but got inspired to write the song after seeing a subway sign that said "Baseball Today - Polo Grounds". The song is about a girl whose suitor wants to take her to a show but she justs want to to the baseball game.

2008 is the 100th anniversary of the song. It didn't become popular until 1976 after Harry Caray was heard singing along during the 7th inning stretch and fans followed suit.


For more of the story behind the song, click here.

Original lyrics:1908 Version

Katie Casey was baseball mad,
Had the fever and had it bad.
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou
Katie blew.
On a Saturday her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go
To see a show, but Miss Kate said "No,
I'll tell you what you can do:"
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowds;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.
Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names.
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along,
Good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:
Enjoy the stamp for the one second you look at it.

No comments: