Thursday, September 13, 2007

OK - The Story

Let me just say that moving the date was technically my idea. However, I was not enthusiastic about it.

Set scene: I at work preparing for a presentation to my new team. I email B about how nervous I am. The response is "BC is playing ND on 11/08/08. I am ok with it. I just wanted you to know." WTF?? He couldn't at least say "You will be fine" and then launch into the bad news. So I ask if the game is at BC. "Yes" replies. Crap.

As everyone has read, we just picked the date and the only sports thing we checked was the NYC marathon and expected World Series dates. B didn't think to check college football because the schedule is not set until the summer The one exception: the BC-ND series. These dates have been set for a few years now. So the two days of stress I just endured could have been avoided.

So after getting the email, I begin to panic. I was worried that we were getting married on a decent game weekend, not the most anticipated game at BC. So B tells me again that he is fine with it. And I suggest moving the wedding back a week. The date is meaningless to us so it is not a big deal. The problem is the annoyance factor. B suggests coming over to talk about moving the date. I email two-thirds of the vendors to see if they are free on the 15th. What is the point of talking about moving it? My thought was "Let's first see if it is possible and then decide." As I am contacting the vendors, I surprised at how I am handling it - much better than I imagine I would.

As luck would have it, all of our vendors are free on the 15th and no one had turned business for the 8th. We were able to keep all of the vendors we had booked and change the date with no costs incurred.

At this point in my relationship I have accepted B's obsession with sports, particularly the Mets and BC anything (we once went out to watch women's basketball while away for the weekend in NH). While I have accepted it at some level, it is an annoyance. I hate having to check sports schedules before I accept dinner/social invitations or make plans for us. And this is the ultimate example.

So now most of you may say why bother moving it. But knowing that all of his friends would be making comments about how they are not at the game (not just at the wedding but from now until years after) and then people would be checking phones for scores or trying to catch part of the game was also a factor. I just thought that if someone made a comment (even jokingly) about it on the actual day, I would probably cry. So instead of dealing with that or even just stressing out about the possibility of it, I moved the date. In the end it didn't cost us anything and now no one can complain about the game that they will miss that Saturday because it could have been worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think all these crazy BC fans that would have made comments at your wedding should increase their gift $25. I am just saying.